Washington landscape club


Beginning in 1914 as an informal group of artists called "The Ramblers" in Washington DC, the Washington Landscape Club evolved in 1920 from this group, which originally included Benson Bond Moore, Charles Seaton, Winfield Clime and Edwin Cassedy. Numbers expanded with many "Sunday painters," as well as big names, and together they roamed the surrounding countryside, painting and then critiquing each others work. Activities were curtailed during World War II, but exhibitions continued on a slightly reduced schedule. During the 1950s, the Landscape Club was known for its opposition to modern art. In the next decades membership numbers and activities diminished and increased in the 1980s, and in 1986 the name changed to Washington Society of Landscape Painters. The group commemorated its 80th anniversary in 1993, at which time its constitution was amended, opening membership to women. Sources: Stephanie Strass, Researcher of the Neville-Strass Collection; http://www.wslp.org/history.htm