Used in watercolor painting, brush drawing, and occasionally in oil painting and sculpture, to describe a broad thin layer of diluted pigment, ink, glaze, or patina. Also refers to a drawing made in the technique. Source: Artlex.com, courtesy of Michael Delahunt<br><br>A thin, usually broadly applied, layer of transparent or heavily diluted paint or ink.<br><br>A transparent layer of diluted color that is brushed on.<br><br> A thin layer of translucent (or transparent) paint or ink, particularly in watercolor; also used occasionally in oil painting.