St. paul school of fine arts


Founded in 1894 by several local artists and community leaders as the St. Paul School of Fine Arts, it was incorporated in 1926 as the Saint Paul School of Art. Professors were Dewey Albinson and George Resler, and Cameron Booth, who saw the school through growth and the move to a mansion home on Summit Avenue in St. Paul. In 1940, the school added an art collection with a large bequest of Chinese Jade. From the 1950s it had successive names: Saint Paul Gallery and School of Art, Saint Paul Art Center, Minnesota Museum of Art (1969), and Minnesota Museum of American Art (1992). Other locations included the Landmark Center and West Publishing Company in St. Paul. The Museum is now closed, and its 3,500 works of American art are stored in a facility near St. Paul. Source: Minnesota Museum of American Art,