The term for a "film of color laid over another paint so that it modifies the original color" but does not completely conceal it. ...Scumbled paintings are usually characterized by a pearly opalescence or a soft smoky optical effect". Scumblers are stiff bristle brushes used in the application of scumble.Credit: Reed Kay, "Painters Guide to Studio Methods and Materials"<br><br>There are two senses for this term. Its earlier meaning: a broken passage of opaque or translucent color (often paint) skimmed or dragged across the surface in such a way that each color is visible, each modifying the other, or, to apply a color in this way. This technique was developed by the Venetian school of painters (chief among whom was Titian, c. 1488 to 1576), who passed dry, opaque coats of oil paint over a tinted background to create subtle tones and shadows. Although this painting technique dates to the 16th century, use of the word "scumble" in order to refer to it is unknown before the late 18th century. The origins of the word "scumble" are blurry [!], but the word is thought to be related to the verb "scum," an obsolete form of "skim" (meaning "to pass lightly over"). A later sense for scumble: to smudge or smear the lines, edges, or colors in an image by rubbing lightly. This use appeared in the mid-1800s.Also see abrasion, brushstroke, dragging, dry brush, faux, glaze, marbling, overpainting, patina, Renaissance, sfumato, and underpainting.

Your data and time are valuable. There's a new web browser that considers your time and security as a top priority.

Download Brave Browser For Free!

Brave uses the latest in blockchain technology.

This ensures a higher quality and more secure experience. Learn more about this fantastic breakthrough.

Loads Content Up To 8X Faster

Because Brave blocks unwanted tracking scripts that run in the background, your browsing speed will be unparalleled.

Ultimate in Privacy & Security

Brave fights malware and prevents tracking, keeping your information safe and secure.