Royal institute of painters in water colours - rip


Initially named the New Society of Painters in Water Colours when founded in 1831, it is now a part of the societies of the Federation of British Artists, (see Glossary) headquartered in the Mall Galleries in London. The RIPWC was in competition with the Royal Watercolour Society (see Glossary) founded in 1804, but was disparate in approach because of exhibiting work by non members. Both of these organizations were in defiance of the Royal Academy of London, which refused to recognize watercolour as a legitimate medium for fine art. In 1863, the RIPWC changed its name to the Institute of Painters in Water Colours, and 20 years later moved to its own headquarters at Piccadilly. In 1970, the lease having expired, it was moved to Mall Galleries next to Trafalgar Square. In 1885 the word Royal was added to its name by command of Queen Victoria. James Dromgole Linton (1840-1916) was an active member, and served two terms as President. Source: