Plastic club philadelphia


Founded in 1897, it was initially a women's art club In Philadelphia, whose purpose was to hold classes and exhibitions of their work. From 1991, membership has expanded to include men. Howard Pyle and William Merritt Chase were both very strong early supporters of the Club as were other male artists including Daniel Garber, William Glackens and Colin Cooper Campbell. The name "plastic" refers to that which is visual---painting, prints, photography, sculpture, murals, and stained glass. Blanche Dillaye suggested the name Plastic Club, and she became the first President. Emily Sartain and Alice Barber Stephens were among the founding members as were members of a group called the "Red Rose Girls"---Violet Oakley, Jessie Willcox Smith and Elizabeth Shippen Green. (Their name derived from the Red Rose Inn, an estate they shared in Philadelphia). Other early members of the Plastic Club included Beatrice Fenton, Theresa Bernstein, Mary Mullineaux, Mary Butler Cable and Blanch Dillaye. Stephens served as Vice President from 1897 to 1913. The Plastic Club continues to operate with headquarters including gallery exhibition space in an historic double town house at 247 Camac Street in the heart of Philadelphia. The Club, neighbor to the Philadelphia Sketch Club, purchased that property in 1909-1910, and in 2001 did extensive renovations. The Philadelphia Sketch Club is a neighbor to the north. Source: