Philadelphia water color society
In the autumn of 1900 Charles E. Dana, George Walter Dawson, Herbert E. Everett, Thomas P. Anschutz, and Susan Bradley founded the Philadelphia Water Color Club. Art exhibitions of the period gave slight attention to aqueous media, being dominated by sculpture and works in oil. Watercolor art was considered less valid and held in low esteem as "Art" by students and the public alike. The founders were determined to dignify their art in the eyes of the world. Mounting strong exhibitions at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, the Water Color Club members began to work toward their goal. In March, 1922, the growing organization was chartered giving watercolor as a valid and respected art form its deserved place in the Philadelphia area and beyond. In 1999, preparations were made for changing the name of the Philadelphia Water Color Club to "Society", reflecting its nature and international scope of the anniversary exhibitions. On January 15, 2000, the new name was embraced. Source: Philadelphia Water Color Society. Submitted by M.D. Silverbrooke, West Vancouver Art Historian and Collector.