Layton school of art
Founded in Milwaukee in 1920 at 158 Mason Street, the School was the center of art education in that city and surrounding area. It was especially important during the Depression era. The first director was Charlotte Russell Partridge, and she served until her retirement in 1954. Edward Lewandowski was her successor. In 1974, the school reportedly closed but later it reopened at 4650 North Port Washington Road. Faculty members included Karl Priebe and Knute Heldner, and among the students were Edmund Lewandowski, Walter Quirt, Chet La MOre and Ora Lee Baker. Sources: Wikipedia: Layton School of Art; AskART biographies. Peter Merrill, "German-American Artists in Milwaukee"