John herron art institute


Conceived in 1883 with a bequest of $225,000 from Indianapolis businessman John Herron, who left his money to the new Art Association of Indiana, whose founding had been led by suffragette May Wright Sewall. The location was 16th and Pennsylvania Streets on the site of the Herron mansion. As a result of the bequest, the Institute "sprang to life" in 1902, with Renaissance Revival buildings dedicated in 1906. It was the second school in the nation dedicated primarily to art education. First faculty members included Brown County painters Theodore Steele, J. Ottis Adams, Otto Stark, Richard Gruelle and William Forsyth. The school expanded in 1929 and 1967, but in 2004 was absorbed into the campus of Purdue University-Indianapolis in downtown Indianapolis. Source: Wikipedia