Frank leslie's illustrated newspaper
A newspaper, it was founded in the 1860s by Englishman, Henry Carter, 1821-1880, who, as a young man, took the name of Frank Leslie in order to foil his parents who discouraged his interest in drawing. Using the pseudonym, Carter sold illustrations to the ???London News???, for whom he worked before immigrating to America where he was employed briefly by circus owner P.T. Barnum. Continuing to use the name of Frank Leslie, he began his own publication, and quickly learned that sensationalism sold and serious subjects did not. His motto became: ???Never shoot over the reader???s head.??? Playing the biggest role in the publication other than Frank Leslie, was his wife, Miriam Follin, a talented writer who led the kind of life that fascinated readers. Her escapades fed scandal mongers, and her writing style and subjects were perfect for the readers of ???Frank Leslie???s Illustrated News???. From her western travels, she provided the first coverage of the transcontinental railroad, wrote about Brigham Young and polygamy in Utah, and did articles on Chinatown, Yosemite, and gold mining. When her husband died in 1880, Leslie???s publishing company was deep in debt, but knowing her husband???s name to be the valuable branding, she legally changed her name to Frank Leslie. The assassination of President Garfield gave the newspaper a big boost in readership, which saved the paper financially and in turn, allowed it to thrive through the 1890s. During its last ten years, management was left primarily to staff members because Mrs. Leslie traveled extensively and then had ill health. She sold the business in 1902. Among illustrators for ???Leslie???s??? were William Waud, William Henry Shelton, Francis Schell, Thomas Nast, Edwin Forbes, Charles Graham, Paul Frenzeny, Benjamin Clinedinst, Henry Ogden and Will Bradley. Sources: Graphic Comm Central, http://teched.edtl.vt.edu/gcc/HTML/PrintingsPast/IllusNewspaper.html; Walt Reed, ???The Illustrator in America, 1860-2000???