A roll of inked material, it is used to apply ink to a block or plate for graphic reproductions and to blend oil colors. Dabbers were prevalent in the 19th Century for printmaking but, except for engraving, were replaced by Breyers or rollers. In engraving, the Dabber is still used to force ink into etched or incised lines. For oil painting, Dabbers can create smooth fields of colors and glazes. Sources: Ralph Mayer, "A Dictionary of Art Terms and Techniques"; Kimberley Reynolds and Richard Seddon, "Illustrated Dictionary of Art Terms" <br><br>A soft pad holding the wax ground used in etching.

Your data and time are valuable. There's a new web browser that considers your time and security as a top priority.

Download Brave Browser For Free!

Brave uses the latest in blockchain technology.

This ensures a higher quality and more secure experience. Learn more about this fantastic breakthrough.

Loads Content Up To 8X Faster

Because Brave blocks unwanted tracking scripts that run in the background, your browsing speed will be unparalleled.

Ultimate in Privacy & Security

Brave fights malware and prevents tracking, keeping your information safe and secure.