Crystal palace exhibition 1851
Held in Hyde Park, London, in 1851, the exhibition had examples from many countries and 14,000 exhibitors of industrial progress, generated by the Industrial Revolution. The space was in The Crystal Palace, a cast iron and glass building of 990,000 square feet that got its name from the staff of the satirical magazine, "Punch". Panoramic painter and architecture designer, Henry Lewis (1819-1904) was the General Art Manager, and Joseph Paxton was designer of the building. At the close of the exhibition, the Crystal Palace was moved to Sydenham Hill in a wealthy area, and in 1836 was destroyed by fire. Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace; Peter Hastings Falk, "Who Was who in American Art".