Founded in 1928 by Dorothea Denslow in Greenwich Village in a converted stable next to the Whitney Museum, it became an informal sculptor's workshop of about 50 participants. Of them, it was written: "Members get so carried away with making little terra-cotta animals, casting huge plaster nudes and hammering away at hard stone that they sometimes work the whole night till dawn." A kiln was on the premises for firing the sculpture. Among members were Muriel Kelsey and George Gerny. Source: LIFE magazine, July 8, 1946, pp. 101-102.